Happy Birthday In Italian In 17+ Amazing Ways
Original blog post: https://ling-app.com/it/happy-birthday-in-italian/
Are you wondering how to say happy birthday in Italian? Italians are amiable people and have many affectionate and funny ways to wish a happy birthday to someone.
Whether you have Italian friends, know Italian people, or go to Italy, knowing a few ways to say happy birthday in Italian will make you look good and facilitate your social life.
Here are the best wishes of a happy birthday you can use.
How To Say Happy Birthday In Italian
If you have an Italian friend sooner or later, you will be invited to an Italian birthday party. Or if you know Italians, you may invite them to your own birthday.
Of course, you can save the day by learning the bare minimum to get across your birthday wishes, but it is even better if you know a different Italian word for special occasions or a few words that can come to your rescue when needed.
In general, to say happy birthday in Italian, the most common practice is to say:
This is the direct translation. However, here are some variations and additional ways to say happy birthday:
- Tanti auguri di buon compleanno — Many wishes for your birthday
- Auguri — Good wishes
- Tanti auguri — Many wishes
- Tanti cari auguri, amico mio (mia) — Many dear wishes, my friend
- Buon compleanno, cara! — Happy birthday, dear (for women)
- Buon compleanno, bella! — Happy birthday, beautiful (for women)
- Tanti auguri di compleanno alla persona migliore che conosco — Happy birthday to the best person I know
- Buon Compleanno! Ti auguro una giornata unica — Happy Birthday! I wish you a unique day
- Buon Compleanno! Tantissimi auguri e che tutti i tuoi desideri si avverino — Happy Birthday! Many wishes and may all your wishes come true
- Tantissimi baci e abbracci di buon compleanno — Lots of happy birthday hugs and kisses
- Tanti auguri di compleanno affinché questi momenti siano indimenticabili — Happy birthday so that these moments are unforgettable
- Buon Compleanno! Credi sempre in te stessa e oggi più che mai — Happy Birthday! Always believe in yourself and today more than ever
- Buon Compleanno! Tantissimi auguri a una persona che non ha eguali — Happy Birthday! Best wishes to a person who has no equal
- Ti auguro un felice compleanno — I wish you a happy birthday
- Tanti auguri in ritardo — happy belated birthday
- Auguroni! — Big wishes! (informal)
- Cento di questi giorni! — I wish you a long life
Most of these sentences, especially the shorter ones, can be used in a text message. There is another quick and familiar way to wish a happy birthday to someone in the Italian language. Let’s see which one.
“Best Wishes” In Italian Can Be Used To Wish Happy Birthday
In Italian, you can say happy birthday, which literally translates to “Buon compleanno,” or you can simply say:
Tanti auguri — Many well wishes
“Tanti” literally means “many”, and “auguri’ means “well wishes.”
It is another common way to wish a happy birthday in the Italian culture. In addition, Italian use it to wish the best to people on many occasions such as Easter, Christmas, New Year, Mother’s day, etc.
Since it is the same sentence, Italian will understand what you mean depending on what occasion you are using it.
For example, if you go to birthday celebrations and say “Tanti auguri,” it is implied you mean “happy birthday.” However, if it is New Year’s Eve and you say “Tanti auguri,” it is also implied that you wish others a happy new year.
Here are some examples of how you can use it:
- Tanti auguri di buon Natale — Merry Christmas
- Tanti auguri di buona Pasqua — Happy Easter
- Auguri per la festa della mamma — Happy Mother’s Day
“Tanti auguri” can also be used to wish people good luck on many other occasions. For example, if a person is starting a new job, or about to enter an examination or test, you can say “Tanti auguri.”
Finally, it is also used in the birthday song instead of “Buon compleanno.” The Italian version of the happy birthday song is the following:
Tanti auguri a te,
Tanti auguri a te,
Tanti auguri a ( the name of the person)
Tanti auguri a te!
“Tanti auguri a te” means “Happy birthday to you.”
“Tanti auguri a” means” Happy birthday to.”
It is the same tune as the English version.
Italian Birthdays Common Words
When you go to a birthday, you should also know some of the most essential words and sentences commonly used in such events. For example, you should know words such as birthday cake, birthday card, how to ask someone’s age, some Italian numbers to understand how old other people are, and more.
Here are some of the most important things to know:
- Quanti anni compi? — How old are you today?
- Quanti anni hai? — How old are you?
- Compio 26 Anni — I’m turning 26 ( the answer to the above question)
- Quando è il tuo compleanno? — When is your birthday?
- Di che anno sei? — What year were you born?
- Torta di compleanno — Birthday cake
- Festa di compleanno — Birthday party
- Che regalo vuoi? — What present do you want?
Italians celebrate their own birthdays with family and invite friends to their birthday parties. They have a good birthday together with people they know, and following the Italian birthday traditions, they sing the birthday song, drink, and offer food to all the presents.
In general, when going to a birthday party, it is essential to bring a birthday card or a present. Even if small. In addition, you should try to wish happy birthday on the exact date of the event, not before.
It is considered rude to wish it before or even bad luck in some parts of Italy. However, Italian friends’ birthdays can be funny, and you are a welcome guest allowed to eat, drink and have a good time.
When you discover someone’s age, there are different ways to answer. For example, someone just told you they are 30 years old, here is how you can reply:
- Ho 30 anni — I’m 30 years old
- Complimenti, non li dimostra! — Congratulations, you don’t show them!
- Complimenti, li porta bene! — Congratulations, you carry them well!
Learn Italian With Ling App
Do you want to learn more languages? Or simply master Italian? You can use Ling App by Simya Solutions. It is a language learning app that can help you learn Italian and offers the possibility of learning more than 60 languages from a mobile device or desktop. Do you want to learn more words in Italian? Check out Italian Love Phrases, Italian Greetings, and Italian Insults.
In addition, if you already know a foreign language and want to improve your level of knowledge, the Ling App can take you from your level to a higher one.